What do people coach on? How could it support me? Sometimes people are interested in the idea of coaching, but they are not sure how it works or how to make it productive for them. Coaching works best when a person has an idea of a goal or vision of where they want to be. Typically (as with any growth in life) there is a gap between where we are now and where we want to go/be. This “gap” creates the area for focus/growth and also the coaching agenda.
Here are some examples of coaching agendas / priorities:
COACHING FOR LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT (CXO’s, Owners, Entrepreneurs, Directors/Managers, Pastors, Leaders)
- I believe in getting perspective from a neutral source and having a sounding board is valuable.
- It is important how I come across, and want support to maximize my communication.
- I have a vision for my success and I would like to design a plan for that to happen.
- I have many people below me and it can be “lonely” at the front, I need a person to be my confidant as I strategically evaluate and plan for my business steps and growth.
- I am a leader with many things on my plate. I know it is important to be a “model” and want accountability to “walk the talk” and be an example for my team.
- I work with a team and want to understand those I work with. (DISC personality assessment)
- I want to shift to “coaching” my reports vs. managing them. I need to develop skills.
- I need to create my annual strategic plan for my business/with my team.
COACHING FOR PERSONAL PRODUCTIVITY (Entrepreneurs, Professionals, Work-from-home people)
- I want to identify or better articulate the goals I have. I need to make clear progress.
- I want to improve my performance and effectiveness; and be consistent as well.
- I want to tweak the design of my time, my life, my day and/or my priorities. My time matters.
- I am not doing what I need to; I need to be challenged and find a way to stay focused.
- I am more creative and productive when I have a person to brainstorm/collaborate with.
- What I really want is the weekly structure of having a coach; that will get me going.
- I need to understand my strengths, maximize them and minimize my weaknesses.
- My day runs me; I want more control of my time and energy.
COACHING FOR SMALL BUSINESS
- I have an idea for a new business; I need to figure out if it is a good fit for me.
- I need to create my business plan and need to think through it (SWOT, plan, etc.).
- I want to have a clear mission and vision to be a base for making business decisions.
- I want to understand my values so I can run my business in alignment with them.
- I want to reduce my stress at work and need to figure out how.
- I am in the middle of a big project and I could use a person to provide support/reflection.
- I work by myself and need encouragement and a person to help see what I am not.
- I have a problem that needs to be solved; I need to understand what is not obvious.
- I need to make an important decision and want to brainstorm/tease out my best options.
- I have a large goal and I want help to develop a strategy to reach that goal easily.
- I want to build a skill set or part of my business and need focus/push to make it happen.
- I want to articulate better who I am and what I do for networking, marketing, etc.
- I need to explore new ways to expand how or ways to approach my business or goals.
LIFE or PERSONAL GROWTH/DEVELOPMENT COACHING
- I am ready to design my environment to profoundly support, stimulate or inspire me.
- I would like to pursue several personal interests but I cannot seem to find the time.
- I am transitioning and want to figure out what I really want and design my life accordingly.
- I want someone to tell it to me straight; to be forthright with me about my situation.
- There is something more for me in life and I’d like help finding out what that is.
- I am on a path of self-awareness and I want to move forward more quickly.
Coaching is a great resource to support you in being strategic and proactive, to get clarity, focus and a plan to make your desire happen. I, along with many coaches, offer a free sample session to explore if coaching is the best fit and tool to support you to accomplish your goals!
Christy Geiger, Executive Business Coach & Trainer, Minneapolis, MN