23 Jul Nine Ways to Ignore Distractions at Work
In my blog, Designing the Environment of Nature, I discussed how to evaluate and bring your “NATURE” more in-line with your goals. The environment of nature is our natural surroundings. Often these are things we cannot control; the in’s and out’s of life. What is presented each day… In the office there are aspects that are hard to control but there are things you can do to improve the environment.
In her article, How To Ignore Distractions In The Workplace, Forbes staff writer Jacquelyn Smith, consulted “career experts” Phyllis Mufson, Andy Teach, and Meredith Haberfeld for suggestions. She says “If you regularly lose focus at work” there are nine things you can do:
- Manage your time and space. “Reserve regular blocks of time for work that requires concentration,” Mufson says. “Try using the first hour at work to make headway in your most difficult project. Ask your co-workers for quiet time, and if that is not possible, take your work into a conference room or other quiet space,” she suggests.
- Limit technology interruptions. Haberfeld says. “Turn off email and text alerts and, if your role allows, only check your messages two to three times a day.
- Organize your workspace to minimize visual distractions. Have a tray for incoming work and keep only the project you are working on now in front of you, Mufson suggests.
- Learn self-management skills.
- Make a plan to minimize distractions. “Haberfeld says to pick your top two distractions and give two weeks attention to keeping them high on your radar and resolving them.”
- Make others aware of your plan. “Letting others know about your strategy to minimize distractions will help you stay focused.”
- Take action. “Haberfeld says, get the friendly word out that you’re setting up designated office hours for walk-ins.”
- Take care of your health.
- Make time to reflect. “Take time at the end of the day to reflect on your day and what you want to focus on tomorrow. Write your priorities for the next day and review your list when you come in.”
What are your biggest distrations in your office environment?
For the full article visit: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2012/06/22/how-to-ignore-distractions-at-work/
Keep Charging & Shine!