01 Mar TILP31: 3 WAYS TO ASSESS YOUR STRENGTHS AS A LEADER
THE INNOVATIVE LEADER PODCAST WITH CHRISTY GEIGER AND DAVID PHILLIPS
When was the last time you self-assessed yourself to find out your strengths? Maybe it’s high time you did it together with your team and share the results to help you function better as a leader. There are many assessment tools available that you can use to find out your strengths and weaknesses and that of your team.
In this episode, Christy and David talk about the different ways you can assess your strengths to function better as a leader. They explain how tools like online assessments work and how to use them to become aware of who you are and how to develop.
Listen in to learn the importance of getting away to self-assess every few months to avoid distractions. You will also learn why you have to understand patterns of challenges happening to you as a leader in order to solve them.
What You Will Learn:
- [1:44] The process of assessing your strengths, expanding your awareness of them, and developing a plan to grow those strengths.
- [3:51] Some of the tools you can use to assess and identify your strengths; Stand Out Strengths Assessment, StrengthsFinder Assessment, Enneagram, etc.
- [5:46] How to use assessment tools as a reflection of who you are, where you are, and how to develop towards your strengths today.
- [9:38] Analyzing different types of assessment tools plus how to take an accurate assessment that shows your true authentic self.
- [16:49] The value of organizations’ using assessment tests they pay for; to better understand their employees’ strengths and weaknesses.
- [21:48] How assessments help you function better as a leader by understanding how similar or different you are to your team.
- [24:00] How to evaluate yourself or engage a coach to understand what you need to change and how and why you do the things you do as a leader.
- [29:30] Why you need to get away to get the chance to self-assess without any distractions.
- [30:55] Why a 90 days frame is the best rhythm to self-assess so you don’t overwhelm yourself with change.
- [34:04] The practice and discipline of skill-building to make it substantial.
- “Assessment tools are really an inductive opportunity to assess and reflect how they fit us rather than feeling like an assessment is putting you in a box.”- Christy [6:50]
- “Sometimes when we overuse a strength, it actually becomes a weakness.”- Christy [13:50]
- “The assessments are great to expand our awareness, how we operate, communicate, and interact.”- Christy [14:13]
- “We want to use the assessments to be a starting point for conversations to understand people better.”- Christy [19:58]
- “If the same challenge is happening to you, its something with your leadership.”- Christy [28:45]
- “Schedule that self-assessment every 100-90 days so that you can evaluate on the changes that you’re making.”- David [30:45]
- “If it’s really an issue, it’s going to require work in order to upgrade it.”- Christy [34:52]
Connect with Us:
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qoeyPcIFWowUa0G9zrCfw
- Website: https://www.synergystrategies.com/podcast-master-dynamic-decision-making/
- Christy Geiger: https://www.linkedin.com/in/christygeiger/
- David Phillips: https://wdavidphillips.com/
- Our Podcast Website: www.innovativeleader.co